Prepare to be amazed by the bizarre and astonishing world of animals with Weird Facts About Animals. Explore a collection of mind-boggling facts that will challenge everything you thought you knew about the animal world. From peculiar behaviors to extraordinary adaptations, uncover the strange and fascinating secrets of creatures big and small. Get ready to expand your knowledge and be captivated by the weird wonders of the animal world!
From the depths of the ocean to the soaring heights of the sky, animals have evolved in astonishing ways, and we’re here to shed light on their most eccentric and fascinating traits. Prepare to have your expectations challenged and your curiosity piqued as we dive into the wonderfully strange world of animals and explore the unexpected wonders they hold.
Weird Animal Facts
- Dolphins and whales only sleep with half their brain at a time so they can still go up for air and watch out for danger as they sleep.
- The only mammal that can fly is the bat.
- Honey badgers are immune to poisonous animals because their mothers introduce them to poisonous animals when they are young to help them build up immunity.
- Sharks lay the world’s biggest eggs.
- Axolotls can regenerate their lost limbs.
- Koalas have fingerprints that help them better grasp tree branches.
- Wombat poop is cube shaped.
- Chows are the only dog that doesn’t have a pink tongue.
- Octopuses have three hearts.
- Gorillas can catch human colds.
- Sloths are good swimmers.
- Frogs can see 360 degrees around their head.
- A dog’s nose has a sense of smell 100,000 times stronger than a human.
- Slow loris have a venomous saliva that causes anaphylactic shock.
- Sloths need 2 weeks to digest their food.
- Regal horned lizards repel attackers by squirting blood out of their eyes.
- Butterflies like to drink blood when they can.
- A panda is smaller than a mouse at birth.
- Polar bear fur is transparent, not white.
- The loudest animal on earth is the pistol shrimp, which can create a sonic boom with the snap of its claw.
- A flamingo has to put their head upside down to eat.
- Ostriches can run faster than horses.
- Toucans toss fruit back and forth between their beaks as part of their mating ritual.
- Rhinoceros horns are made of hair.
- Owls have eye tubes, not eyeballs.
- The wings of the Amethyst Woodstar Hummingbird beat 80 times per second.
- Blue-eyed black lemurs are the only non-human primates that have two blue eyes.
- Polar bears greet each other by touching their noses together like an eskimo kiss.
- Turkeys don’t have to have sex to have babies.
- Sloths can’t shiver.
- Giraffe’s have as many bones in their neck as a human – seven.
- Reindeer eyeballs turn blue during the winter to help them see better.
- Leprosy can be caught by armadillos.
- Giant anteaters eat over 30,000 insects a day.
- Dogs have three eyelids.
- The closest living relative to the T-rex is the chicken.
- Ostrich brains are smaller than their eyes.
- Kangaroos can’t hop if their tail is off the ground.
- Some types of sharks have to swim quickly with their mouth open in order to breathe.
- Sea otters sleep holding hands so they stay together.
- Female ferrets have to mate when they go into heat or they will die from overproducing a hormone called oestrogen.
- There is a type of jellyfish that can cheat death indefinitely.
- Killer whales are actually big dolphins.
- Male ostriches can roar like lions.
- Pigeons can pass the mirror test of self-recognition.
- Pandas fall asleep wherever they are instead of looking for a specific spot to sleep.
- Elephants can’t jump because they have inflexible ankles and a lack of lower leg muscle strength.
- Polar bears have black skin.
- There are over 470 million dogs in the world.
- Shrimp hearts are located in their heads.
Do you know any other weird animal facts? Be sure to add them in the comments so we can add them to the list!
Are you looking for more fun and engaging facts to share with your family? Check out these other posts for more facts!
- 100 Fascinating Facts about Mexico
- 75 Fascinating Facts About France
- 100 Purr-fectly Delightful Facts About Cats
- 87 Fascinating Facts About Owls
- 103 Super Cool Facts About Space
- 100 Interesting Facts About Hurricanes
- Facts About the 9/11 Memorial
- Facts About Spring
- Facts About Rosa Parks
- 50 Fascinating Facts About Butterflies
- 50 Fascinating Facts About Eagles
- Facts About Rome
- Facts About Lions
- Facts about Big Ben
- 100 Best Facts About Quartz for Kids
- 100 Best Facts About Cheese For Kids
- 100 Best Facts About Canada for Kids
- 100+ Out-of-This-World Facts about Earth
- 100 Epic Bug Facts for Kids
- 100 Weird Facts About Animals for Kids
- 85 Stellar Facts About Jupiter
- 135 Fascinating Facts About Ireland That Will Make You Fall in Love
How Do I Access My Printable?
Fill in the form above. You will receive an email in your inbox. If you don’t see it, check your spam folder! You will then click to confirm your subscription. Once confirmed, you will be taken to Airtable (a different website) where all our free printables will be waiting for you! It is free to sign up for Air Table!
How Do I Print A PDF?
You’ll need a program that supports PDFs. Adobe Acrobat is a great option. Open the program, click file, then print. Select your printer and the number of copies you want to print. Be sure you click double-sided if you want it to print on both sides.
Can I Resell These?
You may not resell any printable found on our website or in our resource library. You may use them for class parties, at church, at home, or in the classroom. You may get these printed at an office supply store or copy center at your own expense.